Vanguard High School is a community of learners committed to becoming literate, articulate, analytical, reflective and empathetic citizens. Respect for self and others is the motivating force toward developing
socially productive, useful and responsible members of society.
Vanguard is a small high school in New York City. Our commitment to the Coalition of Essential Schools’ Twelve Principles and the New York State Performance Based Standards Consortium drives our educational philosophy. This enables us to create a school that has high expectations, shared accountability, is student-centered, and uses performance-based instruction and assessment to measure what our students learn.
Vanguard students fulfill graduation requirements by demonstrating their knowledge through the completion of five Academic Portfolios and presentations to graduation committees, as well as achieving success on the requisite Regents Exams. In addition, graduates must complete four years of full academic and elective courses of student work.
Expectations of All Staff Members
Desired candidates should have experience with and / or willingness regarding the following areas:
- Teaching and knowledge of subject area.
- Actively collaborating with team to plan and implement curriculum decisions; otherwise collaborating with staff.
- Implementing written, oral, and visual performance-based assessment and project-based curriculum.
- Serving as a supportive Advisor to a group of students.
- Regularly communicating with parents and students around issues concerning students’ academic development and emotional well-being.
- Coordinating extracurricular clubs, after-school study groups, and other professional and administrative responsibilities; including participating in weekly after-school meetings, school retreats and tutoring.
- Possession of effective communication skills including ability to express ideas, share information and to reflect on teaching practices.
- Implementing active learning techniques and supporting all students, including special education and English language learners, in heterogeneous classrooms.
- Attending professional development opportunities both in-house and within the larger educational community.
- Implementing lessons with a block schedule format.